Grade 2 ELA Reading Comprehension Practice Test #4 In the last three passages, we explored different ways to bring nature into our lives and learn about the fascinating creatures that inhabit our world. These passages focused on home aquariums, backyard birds, and indoor sunflower gardens.
Grade 2 ELA Reading Comprehension Practice Test #4
|Test Name||State Test Assessment|
|Subject||English Language Arts (ELA)|
|Total Items||9 MCQs|
Passage 1: Sunflower Surprise
As winter fades and spring arrives, you can bring a touch of summer to your home with sunflowers. They are a cheerful way to brighten your space.
Some plants grow from bulbs, while others, like sunflowers, grow from seeds. Sunflower seeds come in various sizes and shapes, and sunflowers can grow in a range of colors.
Growing sunflowers indoors is easier than you might think. One popular variety to try first is called the Teddy Bear sunflower. This small, fluffy sunflower can grow well in pots.
FOLLOW THESE SIMPLE STEPS:
1. Find a medium-sized pot with drainage holes at the bottom. Fill the pot almost to the top with potting soil. This is the sunflower with a suitable growing environment.
2. Place a sunflower seed on top of the soil, about an inch from the edge of the pot. The pointy end of the seed should be facing up. Push the seed about an inch into the soil, then cover it gently with the soil.
3. Water the soil gently, ensuring it is evenly moist but not soaked. Place a saucer under the pot to catch any excess water that drains out.
4. Put the pot in a spot where it will get plenty of sunlight. Check the soil every day to make sure it remains moist. Water the plant when needed. In a few weeks, you will see the sunflower sprout, and soon after, it will start to grow and bloom.
Sunflowers come in various colors, sizes, and patterns. Some are bright yellow, others are deep red or orange, and some even have a mix of colors. Explore different types of sunflower seeds at the garden store. You might want to try growing more than one variety next time!
Question 1: Why should the pot have drainage holes?
- A. To allow excess water to drain out and prevent root rot.
- B. To let air circulate around the roots.
- C. To make it easier to water the plant.
- D. To give the roots space to grow through the bottom.
Question 2: What is the purpose of using potting soil?
- A.To add weight to the pot.
- B. To provide a decorative layer.
- C. To give the sunflower a suitable growing environment.
- D. To keep the sunflower seed in place.
Question 3: Which sunflower variety is recommended for growing indoors?
- A. Giant sunflower.
- B. Teddy Bear sunflower.
- C. Russian sunflower.
- D. Autumn Beauty sunflower.
Passage 2: Ocean Wonders
Exploring the vast ocean can reveal an amazing world of colorful and diverse creatures. You don’t have to be a deep-sea diver to learn about marine life. You can create a small underwater world in your home using an aquarium.
Fish come in various shapes, sizes, and colors. Some are bright and flashy, while others blend in with their surroundings. Fish can be found in freshwater or saltwater environments, and each has its own unique characteristics.
Setting up a home aquarium is an exciting and educational activity. It’s important to research and choose the right fish and equipment to ensure a healthy environment for your aquatic friends.
FOLLOW THESE SIMPLE STEPS:
1. Choose the appropriate size of the aquarium based on the number and type of fish you want to keep. Make sure you have enough space for the tank and any necessary equipment.
2. Select the right type of water for your fish. Freshwater fish require different water conditions than saltwater fish. Consult with an expert or do research to determine the proper water type and parameters for your chosen fish.
3. Decorate the aquarium with gravel, rocks, and plants to create a natural habitat for your fish. This will provide hiding spots and help the fish feel more at home.
4. Install a filter, heater, and thermometer to maintain proper water quality and temperature. Regularly monitor the water conditions to ensure the health of your fish.
5. Acclimate your fish to their new environment gradually, and then release them into the tank. Feed them a balanced diet, and watch them swim and interact in their new home.
Visit a local pet store or search online to discover the many types of fish available for home aquariums. Learn about their natural habitats, behaviors, and care requirements. You might even want to try keeping different species together in a community tank!
Question 1: Which type of water should you use based on the fish you want to keep?
- A. Boiling water.
- B. Cold water.
- C. Freshwater or saltwater.
- D. Carbonated water.
Question 2: Why is it important to research the fish and equipment before setting up a home aquarium?
- A. To ensure a healthy environment for the fish.
- B. To impress your friends with your knowledge.
- C. To find the cheapest equipment available.
- D. To make the aquarium look more attractive.
Question 3: What is the purpose of adding decorations like gravel, rocks, and plants to the aquarium?
- A. To make the fish swim faster.
- B. To create a natural habitat for the fish.
- C. To increase the water temperature.
- D. To prevent the growth of bacteria.
As the seasons change and the days become warmer, you might notice an increase in the number of birds visiting your backyard. Observing and learning about these fascinating creatures can be an enjoyable and educational experience.
Birds come in a wide variety of colors, shapes, and sizes. Some are known for their melodious songs, while others are admired for their swift flight and agility. Each bird species has its own unique behaviors and characteristics.
Attracting birds to your backyard can be as simple as providing them with food, water, and shelter. Setting up a bird-friendly environment is a fun and rewarding activity for the whole family.
FOLLOW THESE SIMPLE STEPS:
1. Select a suitable location in your backyard to place a bird feeder. It should be visible from a window and safe from predators such as cats.
2. Choose the right type of birdseed to attract a variety of birds. Some birds prefer sunflower seeds, while others enjoy millet or peanuts. You can also offer suet or fruits for additional options.
3. Provide a source of fresh water for the birds to drink and bathe in. A birdbath or shallow dish will do the trick. Ensure the water is clean and replaced regularly.
4. Install a birdhouse or nesting box to offer shelter and a safe place for birds to raise their young. Different bird species have different nesting preferences, so research which type of birdhouse is best for the birds in your area.
5. Spend time observing the birds that visit your backyard. Learn about their behaviors, calls, and identifying features. You might even want to keep a birdwatching journal to document your sightings.
Visit a local nature center or search online to discover the many types of birds that inhabit your region. Learn about their natural habitats, migration patterns, and diets. By providing a welcoming environment, you can encourage a diverse array of birds to visit your backyard.
Question 1: Which element is NOT essential for attracting birds to your backyard?
- A. Food.
- B. Water.
- C. Shelter.
- D. A television.
Question 2: Why is it important to choose the right type of birdseed?
- A. To attract a variety of birds.
- B. To keep insects away.
- C. To make the bird feeder look more attractive.
- D. To prevent the birds from flying away.
Question 3: What is the purpose of providing a birdhouse or nesting box in your backyard?
- A To store birdseed.
- B To give birds a place to rest during the day.
- C To offer shelter and a safe place for birds to raise their young.
- D To prevent other animals from entering your backyard.