The Science test is scheduled for 90 minutes. Our advice for the Science test is very similar to the Reasoning through Language Arts test. Most importantly, read as much as you can, especially science material. Whenever you don’t understand a word or concept, look it up in a dictionary or online. The items in the Science test assume a high-school level of science vocabulary.
The Science test concentrates on two main themes:
- ✓ Human health and living systems
- ✓ Energy and related systems
In addition, the content of the problems focus on one of the following areas:
- ✓ Physical science
- ✓ Life science
- ✓ Earth and space science
GED Science Practice Test
1. Biofuels are ecologically sound because
- (A) they are inexpensive
- (B) they do not pollute the earth
- (C) they are made from recyclable materials
- (D) they can be used as fuels
Answers: B. they do not pollute the earth.
2. People could reduce their individual carbon footprint by
- (A) driving their cars less
- (B) lowering their thermostats during the cold weather
- (C) not barbequing meat
- (D) all of the above
Answers: D. all of the above
3. People’s personal carbon footprint is also affected by processes out of their control, such as
- (A) grocery shopping
- (B) recycling depots
- (C) power plants
- (D) all of the above
Answers: C. power plants.
4. Water vapor is a positive influence on the earth because
- (A) it moisturizes your skin
- (B) it counteracts carbon emissions
- (C) it has a positive effect on the temperature of earth
- (D) it cools the mountains
Answers: C. it has a positive effect on the temperature of the earth.
5. How do innovations by NASA help a little town in Mexico?
- (A) by setting up space industries
- (B) by providing for clean water
- (C) by supplying food
- (D) by ridding the area of parasites
Answers: B. by providing for clean water
6. Chemical reactions have proven to be a great asset to humanity, but there is a darker side to
chemical reactions. What is it?
- (A) They can poison food supply.
- (B) They can have dire consequences if not handled properly.
- (C) They can explode spontaneously.
- (D) All of the above
Answers: D. All of the above
7. Why is it easier to obtain naphtha from crude oil in a distillation unit than diesel oil?
- (A) It naturally floats to the surface where it can be skimmed off.
- (B) It has a lower boiling point, so it evaporates sooner than diesel oil.
- (C) It has a higher boiling point, so it remains behind as diesel is evaporated.
- (D) Naphtha can be filtered out.
Answers: B. It has a lower boiling point, so it evaporates sooner than diesel oil.
8. What is the energy source that powers the water cycle?
- (A) wind
- (B) solar energy
- (C) geothermal energy, heating the earth
- (D) none of the above
Answers:. B. solar energy.
9. What is the largest single source of greenhouse gas emissions in the United States?
- (A) electricity and heat
- (B) transportation
- (C) industry
- (D) agriculture
Answers: A. electricity and heat
Large areas of the Arctic and Antarctic are covered by ice. How does that ice cover affect
- (A) The white surface reflects incoming solar energy, reducing the amount of heat absorbed by the earth.
- (B) The ice creates an insulating surface that retains heat in the earth, preventing it from heating the air above.
- (C) The ice itself keeps the air cold.
- (D) The white surface absorbs more solar energy, releasing more heat into the air above
Answers: D. The white surface absorbs more solar energy, releasing more heat into the air above
See also (PDF, Answers, Explanation Available)