CBEST Practice Test Free Online Math, Writing Download California Basic Educational Skills Test
CBEST stands for California Basic Educational Skills Test is a standardized test administered throughout the state of California and Oregon for individuals who want to teach at public schools and gain a credential.
California Basic Educational Skills Test
The CBEST consists of three sections. It contains multiple-choice questions and two essay questions. Each multiple-choice question presents five choices (A through E) and examinees are given four hours to take the test. The time given can be divided among the three sections in any way desired. Computer-based test (CBT) and paper-based test (PBT) options:
The CBEST consists of 3 sections:
- Reading = 50 multiple-choice questions
- Mathematics = 50 multiple-choice questions
- Writing= 2 essays
You may take 1, 2, or all 3 sections in a single test session; you do not have to pass all 3 sections at a single administration.
- If you register for the paper-based CBEST, you will automatically be registered for all 3 sections of the test. However, you may take 1, 2, or all 3 sections during the 4-hour test session.
CBEST Reading Section
- This section contains 50 multiple-choice questions based on original passages of between 100 and 200 words. But in some cases, these passages may be short statements of not more than one or two sentences. These questions measure the ability to understand the information given through the written word, or in charts and graphs. They emphasize on critical analysis, evaluation, comprehension, and research skills.The Reading section questions are from two skill factors: (1) critical analysis and evaluation, and (2) comprehension and research skills. Approximately 40 percent of the questions from this section are drawn from the critical analysis and evaluation area, and approximately 60 percent are drawn from the comprehension and research skills area.
CBEST Mathematics Section
- The Mathematics section questions are from three skill factors: (1) estimation, measurement, and statistical principles; (2) computation and problem solving; and (3) numerical and graphic relationships. Approximately 30 percent of the questions from this section are drawn from the estimation, measurement, and statistical principles area; approximately 35 percent are drawn from the computation and problem-solving area; and approximately 35 percent are drawn from the numerical and graphic relationships area.
CBEST Writing Section
- The Writing section includes two writing topics that assess your ability to write effectively. You must respond to both topics. One topic asks you to analyze a given situation or statement; the other asks you to write about a specified personal experience. You are not expected to demonstrate any specialized knowledge in your responses.
CBEST Passing Score
- All three sections of test must be passed, in order to pass the CBEST. Raw scores can range from 1-50, which are then converted to scaled scores ranging from 20-80. The passing scaled score on each section of the test is 41, and a minimum total score of 123 for all three sections must be achieved to pass.
CBEST Test results
- Computer-Based Testing Unofficial test results for Reading and Mathematics sections are provided at conclusion of testing. Test results are available within 2 weeks of testing.